Thursday, August 12, 2010

Howdy My Friend---although I am doubtful that anybody would still be in ear shot of this BLOG---as I am so far off the GRID---and haven't posted anything since March, 2010. However, if you are "lucky" enough to get this post---let me know!!! This is the season of the year I LIVE for---not that I live for seasons---but figuratively, this is where my joy about seasons begins. First, it will soon be getting cooler outside and I don't like it much over 62 degrees. That means the Salmon start coming in close to my house. In fact, despite the warm weather, they are responding to their Natal Call and are now being caught within 5 miles of my house anyway out at "the can" at Five Mile Reef.

Secondly, despite the warm weather the leaves are starting to change to a panorama of colors that help me recall memories of cutting wood with my Dad, starting fires in the fireplace, and fishing, fishing, fishing for Salmon and Steelhead Trout. Then, not too long after, the leaves recede and the rain turns to the beautiful snow. I can't tell you how much I love snow---I like to watch it come down from the sky and slowly take control of the Earth. I like to roll in it, play in it, ski in it and enjoy the solitude it brings by chasing the non-winter people away. I am always taken aback by the folks that say they "gotta get outta hear before the snow falls." They have to get to Florida or Arizona and into the traffic and the heat before "it's too late". As they look at me and talk to me they assume I feel the same way. I scratch my head because soon I will go out and cross country ski, snow-shoe, drive a dog team thru the Wilderness, fire up a snowmobile, enjoy the solitude of a frozen lake as I watch the Wolves run accross it---make a bonfire on the snow piled frozen beach and generally just enjoy this incredible land without all the crowds.

Well, to thier credit they don't know I did the tropical thing for many years and enjoyed the warm, humid weather and lifestyle of Florida---cleaning green mold from my leather shoes, killing scorpions in my shower, and spraying for german and palimino roaches at least once a month---trying to find five square foot of beach to myself at the Ocean---and on and on. I like such things for a week in February, but that's about it!

I have found it's a lot easier to get warm than it is to get cool in my life. And perhaps I've arrived in that the Prisoners I care for now refer to me as "Dr. Cooler who is better than Dr. Cool". You can have Florida and Arizona---just compare and contrast such places to my day tomorrow when I am trolling over crystalline waters in front of my house catching salmon---and the nearest boat is 30 miles away. I have the "Ocean" to myself for relative pennies on the dollar. I have it made. Wish you were here to enjoy it with me. God Bless, Jeff.

No comments: